User Tools

Site Tools


minutes

Meeting Minutes


AWM Fall Meeting - December 9th, 2020

Meeting began on 12/9/2020 at 7pm via Zoom

Meeting purpose and goals: Elect new AWM officers and committee members.

Meeting began at 7pm with a reminder of the chapter mission statement by Akshita Sharma.

- Roles of officers were discussed and election process started - Election of officers run by AWM chapter faculty adviser Monica Vazirani

  • President: Akshita Sharma was re-elected as chapter president
  • VP: candidates were Brittnay Leathers and Himshikha Nath. Vote was won by Himshika (8) to Brittany (2).
  • Treasurer and Secretary were discussed next. Brittany Leathers and Sarah Elizabeth Portnell are the two candidates for treasurer and secretary.
  • Brittany was elected as secretary
  • Sarah elected as treasurer
  • Secretary and treasurer will fill in for each other when necessary
  • Communications and Workshop Management chairs were discussed next
  • Frances Bollozos: Elected as for Math events leader
  • Frances Quynn: Elected as Communications and Workshop Chair.
  • Together Frances Quynn and Frances Bollozos will help lead social events
  • Frances Quynn additionally expressed interest in the professional development events leader
  • Undergraduate chair was discussed next
  • Alyssa Phan was elected as undergraduate chair.
Akshita Sharma concluded the meeting by summarizing the elected officers.
Discussion of creating an AWM Discord or Slack channel
  • Discord was voted as the preferred platform.
  • Meeting ended at 7:37 PM

Additional topics to consider:

  • Who is in charge of the AWM-exec email address? Who should the emails be forwarded to?
  • Who should be in charge of maintaining the AWM wiki-page? Could be an officer or another volunteer. Will be discussed among the officers.
  • Communicate with new officers to determine next meeting date (in winter quarter)

AWM Fall Meeting - December 2nd, 2020

We discussed plans for our first general meeting to be held on Dec 9, 2020. We organized several potential breakout rooms according to topic and discussed how officer elections could be handled.


First Spring Quarter Meeting - April 16th, 2018

Mission Statement Workshop We began the workshop with brainstorming in pairs about values we'd like to see in the club, and outcomes we would like to see. Next, we brainstormed our own visions for how AWM can implement these outcomes and values. We then wrote some of these ideas on the chalkboards and circulated, starring ideas we agreed with and adding question marks to ideas we didn't understand.

Ideas we came up with included:

Binning ideas:

  1. Intersectionality
    • acknowledgement of the variety of privileges we all enjoy
    • promote intersectional diversity of representation of women in math
  2. Social/Community
    • mentorship events, social events
    • fostering an environment of inclusion and support for women in math
    • talk to other women in STEM groups
  3. Professional Development
    • technical, women-led workshops
    • diverse speaker series
    • celebrate history of successful women/minorities in math
    • mentorship
    • spotlight various math career paths
    • workshops on how to deal with sexism/bigotry
    • helping women find opportunities for funding research
  4. Outreach
    • outreach events to middle/high school girls
    • push more diversity in admissions/applications

Sample statement ideas:

  1. Intersectionality:
    • Acknowledge socioeconomic, racial, gender, sexual orientation differences and uplift mathematicians with those backgrounds
    • celebrate & promote diversity
  2. Social/Community:
    • Fostering community and building a network of women and allies with/among math fields and across undergrad/grad/postdocs/faculty.
  3. Professional Development:
    • Provide info about careers in math
    • workshops led by women
    • provide info about funding/ group travel to conferences
    • talks as a form of inspiration, lunches with speakers
    • field trips/group travel to conferences
  4. Outreach
    • Workshop how to reach out effectively to young girls, to both inspire and combat stereotypes
    • Do outreach events
    • AWM will coordinate outreach activities at local schools to expose students to the broad world of math. Meanwhile, AWM will also facilitate training on strategies for effective outreach.

AWM Officers Meeting - April 3rd, 2018

Officers:

  • Copresidents - Emily Meyer and Katy Jarvis
  • Treasurer - Lily Silverstein
  • Secretary - Carter Johnson
  • Undergraduate Chair - Dannie Kiel
  • Communications Director - Esha Datta
  • Workshop Chair - Sam Fleischer

Outreach:

NSF Research has shown that middle and high school is the best time to encourage girls to get into STEM careers, so this is our target age group!

Planned Events
  • Winters High School - May 11th or 18th (unconfirmed)
  • STEM 4 Girls - May 5th, 10am-12pm
    • Organizational Meeting 1:30-2:20pm, 4/13 in 3240 MSB
Presentation Ideas
  • “Calculus is Cool”
  • Monty Hall Problem
  • Q&A Panel
    • Need to research positive ways to answer questions about discrimination, possibly a goal for a workshop or meeting to create guidelines
Concluding Thoughts
  • Would be good to revisit schools
  • Could collaborate with M-PACT or Math Circle

Speakers:

Leah Edelstein-Keshet's generous donation will be used to fund the “AWM Women in Mathematical Biology Speaker Series”

  • We will be able to fund 5 or 6 speakers, 2 of which are from UCD.
  • Speaker series will have a research talk, a meal with AWM members, and a short, informal discussion about experiences
  • Katy & Emily have a nice long list of speakers to invite

Communications

We need to improve on this, undergrads don't know about any of our events/programs! Fliers in MSB and emails to @grads not the most effective methods.

  • FB and Instagram pages will be maintained by Esha
  • We need to get weekly updates on the department email newsletter undergrads get
  • We need to take more pictures! Perhaps there is a service on campus that can help?

Workshops

Sam probably has lots of ideas, but was absent. New idea: Technical Workshops led by women for undergrads on LaTeX, MATLAB, etc.

Mentorship

  • Informal, small room was effective! 1147 is too empty and intimidating
  • Should have another social event this quarter
  • Perhaps blending mentorship/technical workshops together for an event - intimate and helpful training

Miscellaneous - Needs Member Feedback

  • Money for small travel awards? This will directly support women in the the department.
  • Lily, Esha, and Sarah Driver are working towards making the 1st floor restrooms gender-neutral. Put the backing of AWM behind the efforts?
  • Putting pronouns on the department website.
  • Writing letters to dept. hiring/admissions/speaker-inviting committees encouraging them to consider diversity
    • Research diversity efforts already in place
    • Allow member feedback on letters before sending
  • Adding more diversity training to the 1st-year TA seminar - e.g. UndocuAlly program
    • Can use campus resources to get the right people to lead the lessons
minutes.txt · Last modified: 2020/12/11 16:04 by drhaley